How To: Connect to a Cloud Server/Playground Server Using a Graphical Interface
NOTE: These instructions do not work for Cloud Playground. If you are using a Cloud Playground server, and want to use a graphical interface, please use the "Graphical Shell" option under the Actions button. Performing these actions will cause the graphical shell to fail and you will need to recreate the server.
We have a detailed video on VNC included in the introductory course!
You can also follow the steps below:
1. Run the command `vncserver.
2. Run the command `vncpasswd` and then create a password. You will be asked to verify it again.
3. Select No when it asks for a view-only password.
4. Open the VNC application of your choice and enter the public IP address followed by :5901 For example, your connection command should look like this: 22.214.171.1242:5901
5. Click Connect.
6. When prompted for a password, use the password you set up in step 2.
(If you're using Chrome's VNC extension, all of these steps are the same except for step 4 where you should use ::5901 instead.)
Web-Based VNC/RDP Connection (Beta)
Additionally, we have introduced a web-based VNC session (currently in beta) for our CentOS 7/RHEL cloud servers. To launch your web-based VNC session, open up the cloud server control center, then click on the gear wheel for your cloud server to reveal the cloud server's menu:
This will launch another browser window/tab with your VNC connection and you'll be able to interact with the cloud server in a GUI-based manner.
If you have followed the above steps and continue to run into an issue connecting, please submit a ticket or email support@LinuxAcademy.com for assistance!